Friday, September 23, 2005

Role models

Been thinking a bit more about the way the press has been dealing with Kate Moss and the big fuss it has caused. It then got me thinking about 'role-models' and how we idolise them and so on. This led me to the other hot news topic at the moment Mr Wayne Rooney. He is being condemned in some, well most, areas of the press for setting a bad example to young kids with his on-field, and sometimes off-field, antics. I can't help but think, hey this guy is only 19 (20 next month). When I think of all the things I used to get up to at 19 I am surprised that all he did was applaud in the face of Kim Milton Nielson...


Has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Kim and Ryan Stiles? Both seem to have extremely long necks, or should that be small heads, which emphasise the neck - biatch
Anyway my point is that we make these people into role-models when they are still only very young and 'shouldn't know better'. We only have ourselves to blame. I myself am continuinly messing things up and yet does that mean I shouldn't venture forth into the wide world incase someone copies me? No! We all make mistakes so get over it, accept it and simply try to do better next time. I think some guy back in Judea about 2000 years ago said something similar. He was, however, quite a good role model by all accounts, and what did we do to him?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rooney's a pratt. He's being paid 4 million pounds a week to play football, sure, not to be a role model, and he's only 19. But so what? How old do you have to be to learn respect? There's plenty of people much younger who do know how to treat people with respect. He doesn't - maybe because he sees himself as a megastar footballer who gets paid 4 million pounds a week - and so he's condemned to look like a dick, both on and off the field.

You don't get this problem in cricket - umpires have real authority.

Darren said...

Yes, but Martin if he is such a pratt why don't you sell him some crap portrait pretending to be some major biblical character at an extortionate price instead of trying to offload it at some dodgy auction. Perhpas it is your love of David Dickinson that drives you such places.

Still have to agree that Cricket never has similar problems... unless your Mike Gatting ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey don't diss the Death Doctor, or I'll come knocking on your window late at night and I'll make you eat some violent quiche with a side order of pain salad. All that, AND I'll make you leave SU money in your will.

I am the Harbinger of Death. All ye mortals feel my wrath and cower in fear!

And I still think Rooney is a dick. Anyone who feels it within their remit as a professional football player to tell their captain to 'f@@k off' is, quite frankly, a pratt of the highest order. And I'd like to see him try that with Roy Keane...

Darren said...

LOL