Monday, January 16, 2006

Women Bishops

It seems the whore, sorry I mean, bride of Christ is having another fun time. Yes the Church of England is trying to sort out how to get women bishops into place. Now personally I don't much hold to the whole ordination thing so couldn't really care less. But I was watching the news at lunchtime and couldn't stop laughing.

There was an interview with some lady who was on some committee or other and she was explainign how a proposal of 'getting around' having a women bishop worked. Some bods in the church don't want a woman bishop or any priest associted with them because of something that they call 'tainting'. Therefore if they want they can have a male bishop who hasn't ordained any women priests at all, and is therefore untainted.

Anyhow what made me laugh was the phrase this woman used. How she didn't laugh as she realised what she said I don't know, or is it perhaps that people connected with the church are a little out of touch with society? (That is a rhetorical question, I know the answer to that.) She said, and I paraphrase slightly, although the funny line is exact, 'So Parishers can opt for a Bishop who is not tainted (here it comes)a bishop who has never laid hands on a woman.'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a few jokes....

Not suitable for polite company though!

Steve Tilley said...

Don't know why but it put me in mind of the probably apocryphal church which erected a poster saying, 'If you're tired of sin - step in.'

The next morning the additional text read, 'If not call Rita on 456234. Reasonable rates and discretion guaranteed.'

I'm off to try and lay my hands on a woman.

Darren said...

Considering another term for Bishop is Primate we could say that there should be no monkey business at the ordination of women.
Just noticed all the speeling mistakes in my post. I do apologise. I suppose I was laughing so much I didn't notice - that;'s my excuse and I'm sticking to it.