Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year?

I wonder why Charles Dickens chose Christmas as the feast for his Scrooge story. Ok, the main character is a little thrifty and caught up in his own world, but I wonder why Christmas. Yes, it is the season of goodwill and joy to all men, but really there is a much better time for pessimists, anti-philanthropists and people who write 'cold-tea' blogs... of course I refer to the annual out-pouring of optimism that heralds in the New Year.

We write our long lists of resolutions and send best wishes for the forthcoming weeks and months, as though we really do believe that things will change. But to be perfectly honest they won't, they haven't for millennia so why should 2006 be any different. We'll still be killing each other and slowly dissolving the planet, being polite in front of others while sticking pins in their proxies when they aren't looking. Things wont be any different. We'll still lose close freinds, some I fear wont be seeing 2007 unless something miraculous happens, so perhaps 2006 will be different for them as it will be their last here. But hey, that is life (or death).

So a merry post to start the year? Well actually I think it is. By recognising that everything isn't going to change overnight, we may be able to realise that we have to put some effort in. If we want things to be better, we have to choose to act and be better. Sitting back and living the anaesthetized existence that we all love to hate won't change a thing, but living, breathing and making this world a better place can. Take a page from Rio Ferdinand's book, he's now scored twice in four games... miracles don't just happen at Christmas. And for those who can't do anything to change their current circumstances perhaps that miracle could be ahead this year

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, call me an optimist if you like, but I do believe miracles do happen.. everyday. And I also believe that everyone could use a little bit of mud in their lives. LOL :D

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, what do you think of that Big Guy?

Darren said...

lol, yeah thanks for that. I think that is what I was trying to convince myself of as I wrote it.