Monday, February 13, 2006

Publicans vs the police

No this isn't about the latest battle for the top of the Hit Parade (my mum stills calls it that), although nice to see Leo Sayer still breathing.

This refers to something I caught on BBC news this morning whilst munching on some breakfast (trying to eat breakfast each day as part of my get healthy drive). Down in Yeovil they are going to introduce fingerprint scans as a way of entering public houses and clubs. The idea being that if you are a troublemaker you may be refused entry. A little machine scans your print, you then enter some details and voila you are on the system. The interviewer was talking to a policewoman who was very happy with the scheme about data protection and the concerns some people have about this. The policewoman reassured the interviewer and the viewers that their details were safe because only the publican would have access and not the police.

Now I grew up in the era of The Young Ones, therefore I was drip-fed the line that all police were faschists. However, if it came down to my details being held by the police or a bunch of publicans I know whom I would prefer to be in the clutches of.

No comments: